Proud to Own Series
Each week, we highlight a core portfolio holding within our Faith-Based 100 Index, and show why it is a part of our “Proud to Own” universe.
As a reminder, for the company to be included in our “proud to own” universe, it must meet three criteria:
1. It must not violate your faith and values. Some of the types of companies we can avoid include those involved in the abortion industry, those producing explicit entertainment and pornography, those conducting embryonic stem cell and fetal tissue research, companies funding and lobbying for homosexuality, those involved in vices like alcohol, tobacco and gambling and companies that are abusing the environment.
2. It should be a company that complements your faith and values. This involves finding companies: Helping the poor and defenseless; Protecting the sanctity of human life; Producing morally sound entertainment; Finding cures for life threatening diseases; and Improving the society we live in…
3. It should be a company with strong profit potential. This involves finding companies in solid financial condition that have strong profit potential and/or provide strong cash flows via dividends. We use a five-point inspection to evaluate each investment we are considering. We analyze a company’s earnings potential, price momentum, risk, financial health, and its current valuation. Our goal is to find quality companies that stay true to your values AND are profitable! This is not an either /or scenario but rather a winning combination.
This Week’s Highlighted Company
This week we look at an exciting “Proud to Own” Company that is providing a healthy way of life through its natural and organic foods, beverages, and personal care products.
The Hain Celestial Group (Nasdaq: HAIN), headquartered in Lake Success, NY, is a leading natural and organic food and personal care products company in North America and Europe. Hain Celestial participates in almost all natural food categories.
Here is a quick look at the depth of its product line-up…
Natural Food (grocery)
Hain provides grocery stores with a broad line up of natural and organic foods. Here are a few examples:
- Its Arrowhead Mills brand a pioneer and leader in organic baking, mixes, grains, cereals and nut butters since 1960.
- Earth’s Best brings us the first complete line of organic foods for infants including cereals, teething biscuits, juice and over 60 varieties of jarred foods in single flavors and unique combinations.
- Its Nile Spice soups are a healthy alternative to vending machine lunches or fast food, and they’re quick and delicious!
It also focuses on natural beverages. Here are some of its brands:
- Blueprint is the pioneering line of raw and organic fruit and vegetable juices.
- Celestial Seasonings is the leading brand of natural and specialty teas in North America.
- Rice Dream provides dairy free beverages with as much calcium and vitamins A and D as milk.
- Soy Dream provides non-dairy beverages with the health benefits of soy.
Here are a few of its natural snack offerings:
- Boston’s – A pioneer in kettle-popped popcorn.
- Garden of Eatin’, the #1 organic tortilla brand in the U.S.
- Bearitos, a natural brand of chilis, sauce mixes, and snacks.
It also offers refrigerated foods through Yves Veggie Cuisine, the North American leader in the production of award winning meatless, low fat and cholesterol free products.
Its Ethnic Gourmet brand provides a wide variety of frozen meals offering tantalizing tastes from all over the world.
Natural and organic personal products brands also are an important part of Hain’s product line-up:
- Alba Botanica, which is dedicated to providing natural personal care
- Avalon Organics, which has created exceptionally pure and effective personal care products.
- JASON brand providing everyday natural care with a complete range of safe, effective products that naturally care for every age from head to toe.
It also takes pride in its protein offerings:
- Its Freebird brand marches to the beat of a different drumstick, as FreeBird chicken is raised humanely by family farmers on a proprietary recipe of pure sun-ripened corn and soybeans, completely free of antibiotics and no animal by-products.
- Experts in farming since 1835, Plainville Farms was one of the first turkey companies in the country to humanely grow healthy and great-tasting turkeys with natural, time-tested methods refined over six generations of farming.
It offers a wide variety of foods to help those who choose or need a gluten free diet.
As you can see it has a diverse product line-up focused on providing a healthy way of life. Because Hain Celestial (HAIN) has a focus on natural, healthy and organic foods, beverages, and personal product items designed to help us live longer and be safer, it is a company, we can be “proud to own”.