Proud to Own Series
Each week, we highlight a core portfolio holding within our Faith-Based 100 Index, and show why it is a part of our “Proud to Own” universe.
As a reminder, for the company to be included in our “proud to own” universe, it must meet three criteria:
1. It must not violate your faith and values. Some of the types of companies we can avoid include those involved in the abortion industry, those producing explicit entertainment and pornography, those conducting embryonic stem cell and fetal tissue research, companies funding and lobbying for homosexuality, those involved in vices like alcohol, tobacco and gambling and companies that are abusing the environment.
2. It should be a company that complements your faith and values. This involves finding companies: Helping the poor and defenseless; Protecting the sanctity of human life; Producing morally sound entertainment; Finding cures for life threatening diseases; and Improving the society we live in…
3. It should be a company with strong profit potential. This involves finding companies in solid financial condition that have strong profit potential and/or provide strong cash flows via dividends. We use a five-point inspection to evaluate each investment we are considering. We analyze a company’s earnings potential, price momentum, risk, financial health, and its current valuation. Our goal is to find quality companies that stay true to your values AND are profitable! This is not an either /or scenario but rather a winning combination.
This Week’s Highlighted Company
People all over the world have dreams and passionate ideas about what’s possible in this world. These passions lead them to create experiences and realities that expand our world and inspire those around us.
This innovative company helps people capture and share their lives’ most meaningful experiences with others—to celebrate them together. It enables its customers to share their life stories through incredible photos and videos.
Go Pro Inc. (NASDAQ: GPRO) engages in producing wearable HD camcorders, known as action cameras and related accessories. It also curates videos shot on its cameras and broadcasts those videos on its own channel on YouTube, Xbox Live and Virgin Atlantic flights. The company offers HERO line of cameras; premium accessories; and mounts comprising equipment-based mounts. It also offers other accessories that include spare batteries, charging accessories, cables to connect its GoPro cameras to televisions and monitors, video transmitters, external microphones, flotation devices, dive filters, and anti-fogging solutions, as well as accessories for the Wi-Fi remotes.
People are more active these days, whether it’s mountain hiking, skiing, scuba-diving, dirt biking, extreme sports, or surfing you’re bound to see a GoPro camera. Instead of the noraml second hand filming of wave rides or half-pipe tricks, enthusiasts GoPro them. All you need to do is strap the $200 to $400 camera on a helmet, handlebars or surfboard, and you can create amazing action footage! This cinema-grade, panoramic “point-of-view” footage transforms ordinary film into human highlight reels, without the massive expense of pricey equipment.
Some examples of how the GoPro camera is being used:
- Shaun White, used GoPros on his runs during the Winter X Games.
- Hollywood directors, including Michael Bay, keep crates of them on set.
- The NFL has tested them in their end zone pylons to capture touchdown replays.
- The Rolling Stones deployed them on stage.
- Police forces and the U.S. military have started to incorporate the cameras into training exercises.
As you can see GoPro (GPRO) has figured a way to help its customers and their friends and family share in important life events. This is a company changing the world and one we can be “proud to own”.